Wednesday 28 July 2010

Race Against Autumn

Elementary schools in Finland start in just two weeks time and in general that also means the autumn is slowly sneaking upon us:) I don't mind really, I love summer, but I don't enjoy the extreme heat waves and am definitely a winter (and spring... and autumn..) person.

Only thing slightly puzzling me is the fact that this is our first proper summer back in Finland. It's said that one should wait at least a year before destroying the existing garden with ones own grand ideas. I'm glad I did, but at the same time bit frustrated as I still keep going back and forth with ideas. Which wouldn't matter really, but they're all quite large scale visions and not exactly a snap of the fingers, ha:)

Well anyhoo, rambling, so no literal garden progress this summer comes with the realisation of the forthcoming autumn. I was happy to find progress in some parts of my gardening anyway:) As a pretty much of a novice when it comes to raising veggies and fruits, I took on a rather ambitious task of growing watermelons (not exactly a Finnish fruit!), aubergines (ditto!) and pumpkins (!). BUT if I wasn't lucky enough to have a glorious ever so snowy ol' school winter, followed by a proper hot summer with good odd showers, so my little green thingies have indeed blossomed without the modern luxury of a fancy greenhouse:)

Pics taken 28th of July 2010 marks a race against autumn! Do you think I get to enjoy any veggies and fruits I've raised from tiny seeds?:)

Here we are; my petite Aubergine blossoms, yum yum:)
Looks pretty healthy me thinks (no pesticides or fertilisers used)
Ha, yup, this tiny hairy thing is a growing watermelon:)
Tomatoes, not exactly brain surgery, but they're late too!
I don't know what this is called in English, but in Finnish it's paskanmarja (=shit berry, lovely, eh?) as apparently it's supposed to smell horrid when blossoming. Didn't smell a thing though, maybe I was lucky:) Not eatable, but has quite pretty leaves and berries:)
The Apple of my eye:) We couldn't quite crack what apple species this was, but once red cheeked tastes like cardboard, ha. So must be some kind of winter apple:) Not suitable for baking, nor wasn't exactly an apple for making juice either. Strange. Doesn't appear to be any of the most common species nowadays. Mystery continues. If nothing else, looks pretty on photies, ha!
Orpine, Livelong, Frog's-stomach, Harping Johnny, Life-everlasting, Live-forever,Midsummer-men, Orphan John, Witch's Moneybags...
Which ever name you prefer, this one (Isomaksaruoho in Finnish)
blossoms in about August- September time:)
Cutleaf, Cutleaf Coneflower, Goldenglow, Green-headed Coneflower, Tall Coneflower or, Thimbleweed (Kultapallo, just one name for us boring Finns, ha!) came to blossom earlier this year:)
Ribes are ripe:)
Bring on the Halloween! We're getting prepared, and hopefully we'll be able to carve more than one (ridiculously over priced!) pumpkin this year:) Although Finns don't exactly celebrate Halloween, I wanted to have something fun and special before the Christmas madness (which I love), so we integrated the Halloween from UK to our home in Finland. Something fun to watch for the neighbourhood kids too, even when our decorations are very modest:)

So here are the PUMPKIN blossoms:) How exciting!
Even my sugarsnaps are late, but :heart:
what's your biggest achievement in gardening- wise?:)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...