Tuesday 19 March 2013

Quinoa Week

I'm celebrating a "Quinoa Week":) 
I decided to test as many recipes I would be able to find from my cookbooks, or online. As it makes sense to make a slightly larger batch at once, I have plenty to work on:)

We're also celebrating our 14th anniversary today, March 19th, so I prepared a good breakfast, as we rarely have a chance to sit down properly as a family (in the mornings), and neither of us hardly ever have time to stop for breakfast.

Rye bread with avocado, pea sprouts, spring onion and Romaine lettuce, yum!
Freshly juiced oranges, lush!
This isn't necessary part of the breakfast setting, but I made it ready for lunch or dinner as I thought it might taste the best when cooled down a bit. This is "Mineralized Protein Rich Quinoa Salad" from an e-book I ordered from Spirulina Junkie. The recipe is originally from Chef Franky G / Frank Giglio (www.frankgiglio.com)

The salad contains Sprouted Quinoa, pea sprouts, Dulce seaweed,  Spirulina, Hemp seeds, a carrot, onion, garlic and spices.  
How to sprout Quinoa (Kvinoa tai Quinoa in Finnish) ?
It is said when sprouting Quinoa, one helps to break down the physic acid, which allows for better absorption of nutrients and mineral.
- Soak your desired amount of seeds (i.e 2dl) in water for 2hours
- Strain, rinse and spread evenly on a plate.  Leave in room temperature for 12-24 hours (mine took 12hours) until they've grown a little tail:) 
- Rinse again, and bring to boil a little until tender
- Let them cool down, use immediately and/or store the rest in refrigerator
Quinoa cookies! From -"Big Vegan"- book, or officially "Almond Butter- Quinoa cookies, with Apricot", ha:) Page 471. These are so delicious and heavy, in a good way, fresh, airy, but heavy enough for not being able to stuff ones face with the whole batch at one sit. Instead; one cookie will take you far and will keep ones tummy satisfied for hours (in my opinion, ha!:))

They eat almond butter, agave syrup, canola oil (American English for rapeseed oil), little bit of flour (of your choice), chickpea flour, quinoa flakes ( I used quinoa flour), coarsely chopped almonds, dried apricots and spices. Everything I used was pure and organic:) And only thing I left out was an almond extract, as I didn't have any, but I don't think I missed out on flavour anyway:)

Dogs (and cats!) have been mad for everything quinoa!
That's Halla, the Afghan Hound, on mummy's cookie platter, tut tut!
14 years and many more!
Have a beautiful and sunny Tuesday!
x x x 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...